Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Barbecue v Grill

At this time of the year the great debates about these method of cooking re surface.

Texas , North Carolina or Kansas who does it best?

Who make the best pits ? What meats are best ? Marinades ? Choice of wood or coals and so on.

In the Middle East - Turkish , Syrian or Lebanese ?

Well here is where I stand.

Best in North America for Barbecue - Kansas best pits Texas.

Best in the Middle East - Turkish Mangal !

In the Middle East they Grill and in North America they Barbecue.

What is the difference Between Barbecuing and Grilling ?

This is a question that is asked by many, but not widely known or understood. A lot of the confusion lies in the fact that people often use the same piece of equipment for grilling as they do for barbecuing. The two are very different.

(Click on the title to understand the differences between Barbecuing and Grilling)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My tendancy is more toward the grilled offerings. I believe I may be afflicted with acute 'BBQ a-la-B&Q' fear. Too many instances of dehydrated flesh reduced to carbon on the outside with a tepid and raw center. I always politely decline invitations to such events.

However, I have to say that two of the most memorable slow Sundays I ever had were courtesy of a barbecue. The first was of my own doing, and I believe I may have stumbled across a half way house in terms of cooking times and temperatures. I experimented with a medium sized leg of lamb (whole, not butterflied) on a barbecue, but created and maintained more heat than you normally would for a slow-cook. I half covered the cooking area throughout. However (and this was really important), I placed two baking tins filled with water in the middle of the coals and had these directly under the joint, i.e. it was never directly over any excessive heat. The water evaporated relatively slowly and just did enough to keep the joint in good shape. It involved quite a bit of constant attention for stoking and adding wood chips, but this was fine because it meant the joint was turned over frequently. Because of the cover it was cooking more from the top rather than the bottom. I must recreate this sometime, once I get a decent barbecue. And a house with a garden.

Not sure if the second example qualifies as a barbecue or not, but it was outdoors, nonetheless. A friend cooked two sizeable chickens (wrapped in foil) in a Japanese clay urn of some decription with a name that I cannot recall. No idea what the cooking time was but the result was the juiciest and most intensely hickory-smoked chicken I've ever tasted. I have to confess: it was so good that I gorged myself shamelessly. I think the 150-proof rum from San Juan that followed is what saved me.